Sunday, October 15, 2023

That Day When I Lost My Job

I have to admit I'm someone who doesn't like surprises.  I'd much rather know what's going on, and I usually do. But last Wednesday blind-sided me. That was when I got the email that the provost wanted to see me for a quick Zoom meeting; it concerned my future at the university. About two dozen others of us got similar messages. It was not something I was expecting-- I mean, only a couple of weeks earlier, the university was celebrating those of us with work anniversaries: mine was 15 years. 


So, needless to say, I was not expecting to be told my services were no longer required. I sincerely thought I had done a good job: I taught some very well-received courses in media studies, ran the school newspaper, tutored, mentored, advised, belonged to various university committees, and I'd like to believe I made a positive impact, both on my students and on my colleagues. 

But maybe I didn't. Maybe what I have to offer wasn't what was needed or wanted. I would have thought that in the world today, a person who specializes in media analysis, someone who can teach a wide range of media-related courses (along with other courses too), would be useful. But evidently not.  

I still don't know how I feel about all of this. I'm getting a lot of emails from former (and current) students who think the university made the wrong decision. And I can't forget that there were 30 of us, all of whom were names in our fields in some way, all of whom worked hard for our students, all of whom went above and beyond... and yet, we're all gone. Just like that. Turn the page. 

I know it's not personal (at least, I hope it's not). Business decision. I ran a business and at times, I had to let people go too. But to be honest, I never thought I'd be the one to lose my job. I sincerely believed I was making a difference. And now, I don't know what the next thing is. I'm 76. Still young and cute, widely quoted and published, but 76. Will anyone want to hire me? Only time will tell.

It's times like this when I'm glad I have a blog, because there's something cathartic in writing this. As I said, I don't like surprises, and this was certainly not what I expected to be blogging about. Sometimes, life is fair (and predictable) and sometimes it isn't. As a cancer survivor, I'm still grateful to be alive. But I do hope there's still someplace where I can contribute. And not knowing what the next thing is, and not knowing what I can do about any of it... that too is not what I expected...

13 comments:

  1. Last year I lost my job as well, no fault of mine, and just a month after an unsolicited raise. It’s a shock, and it hurts, even when it’s “just business”. Sending positive thoughts your way Donna. I am happy that you have a blog as well, and that you share your insightful, honest, and inspiring thoughts here.
    🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still do not understand why WGBH Radio 89.5 FM does not hire you and also make you a regular on Boston Public Radio with Margery Egan and Jim Braude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that the right opportunity will present itself to you soon. Academia is all too contingent these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna I truly believe everything that happens to us, good and bad, brings us to a better tomorrow. (Working Man)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. This really upsets me. I went through too many layoffs, watching a lot of good people go. Some with 30+ years of service. The way I see things these days, it's because of either downsizing, or poor performance.

    My mother is the same age as you, and she retired after 28 years or service with a well respected manufacturer, sevral years ago. My mother is the type where she can't sit still for two seconds. She also had 12 siblings, with her youngest brother born with Downs Syndrome. She was the only sibling that stepped up and cared for him, 24/7. He passed from pneumonia, at 55, and devistated my mother.
    About two years ago, my mother applied for and aide position at a county-run facility for mentally, and physically challenged kids. She has found her nitch, which reminds her of her brother.
    Take some time to reset. There IS something out there.
    I'll put my vote in for you getting back into radio of some sorts.
    Keep your chin up, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well...you can write that Rush book....and / or develop a syndicated Rush Radio show. You are capable well respected media and music professional. Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant idea. Talk to the guy's I'm sure they would help out anyway they could, especially interviews, stories etc.
      I'd listen if I could from the UK. 🙏

      Delete
  7. Donna hi it's Richard admin founder of the REClub. Rush Elders Club. Now is the time to write about RUSH and all else. Geddy calls it my Effin life. I find your writing captivating with no fluff. Godspeed to you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talent and intelligence survives. You’ve got plenty of both. You should be well. 😎🎙🌴

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have any interest in politics?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I concur with what you noted relative to the cathartic nature of blogs like this, which I believe makes them a worthy effort and an ideally good way to organize and clarify one's complex or conflicting thoughts on an issue.

    I am sorry you are having to deal with this situation at this point in your current career and felt compelled to give a few random thoughts.

    First, I feel it unfortunate that your employer of 15 years would give you that kind of news over Zoom rather than in person. While video conference can be personal, it just isn't as personal in my opinion. Small item in the big picture but still.

    I am certain your assessment of having had a positive impact on and having made a difference with your colleagues and students was accurate but can see why this treatment would make one question themselves and feel otherwise.

    I would imagine this had everything to do with shifting ideological visions involving power brokers within the institution and money rather than anything to truly do with you (or your colleagues).

    You seemed to question your usefulness and I can perhaps only reiterate that this is one of so very many schools with different priorities and values around the nation (and beyond). While this institution made the choices they did, others would likey not see the wisdom in giving up such institutional knowledge and experience. I would imagine there are places that would place much greater value on their talent pool, and the wisdom and experience they bring.

    Ideally (and I suspect likely) you will find somewhere that appreciates that you are still young and cute and not so much focus on the number 76.

    Hopefully I am in no way coming off toxically positive here, so will simply say that for my part, I have always found it to be true in the cliche that change (even when unwanted) breeds opportunity. Again, ideally that proves to be the case for you moving forward even if for the moment you are still dealing with the unexpected notion of not knowing what to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am new to reading your blog but follow you on Twitter (I also refuse to use the X moniker)
    As a radio broadcaster for most of my adult life (I just turned 70) i can commiserate with your shock and disappointment of being told that your services were no longer needed after 15 years. I too was dismissed after nearly 24 years of service as an award winning production director a few years ago.
    I am still not over it. I have hung up my headphones for good now. I miss my work, my coworkers and interns. I hope that you find your lane and continue down the road that inspires and educates and informs. Peace.

    ReplyDelete