Sunday, December 31, 2023

And I Thank the Lord There Are People Out There Like You

Because I used to be a deejay, I sometimes name my blog posts after song titles, or after lyrics that I like. If you're a Rush fan, you know I've quoted from some of theirs-- "Freewill" and "Witch Hunt" and "Spirit of Radio," to cite three examples. But as I look at the end of 2023, what comes to mind isn't Rush songs, but rather, a great 1996 dance hit by OMC called "How Bizarre." It truly was a bizarre year, with incredible and unexpected highs (getting inducted into the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame in June; being on stage with Geddy Lee in Cleveland in November) and at least one incredible and unexpected low (being fired by email, told that I am losing my job, despite 15 years of going above and beyond). 

It was a year when Twitter, now renamed "X" (which nobody I know ever calls it-- I don't know about you, but to me, it's still Twitter and I still send out Tweets) deteriorated into a place where haters-- neo-Nazis, antisemites, white supremacists, etc.-- love to congregate. But some of us still resist, and many friendships still endure. A lot of my followers and I still gather nightly to play Wordle and compare our scores. We still gather to raise money for kids and teachers in need via Donors Choose. 

And speaking of social media, for reasons that I don't entirely understand, I sit at the end of 2023 with 9389 followers on Twitter, and more than 4800 on Facebook. I've been blogging since 2015, and I continued to do so throughout 2023. Some of my blog posts can attract several thousand views; others get fewer than 100; but the fact that folks I don't even know personally are interested in what I write still amazes me.

In mid-December (see previous blog post), I celebrated being 9 years cancer-free. But to be honest, it's hard to celebrate without remembering the folks we've lost to cancer over the years, including our beloved Neil Peart of Rush, and my mother (of blessed memory), and more recently, one of my favorite baseball players-- Tim Wakefield. There are lots of folks who are beating cancer, and I am grateful to be among them. But there are still too many others whose story did not have a happy ending. I'm hoping that ongoing research will lead to new treatments and new cures in the new year ahead.

Politics remained as divisive and hateful as ever: having been around for a while, I can remember other eras of anger and division, like the Vietnam Era, but I still can't get used to a world where a growing number of politicians think it's okay to sling crude insults at their opponents and talk like schoolyard bullies, or use racist or antisemitic tropes in their political speeches, just to pander to certain voters. In fact, it was a year when hatred of "the other" (Jews, Muslims, immigrants, gay people) was on the march in many countries, often fueled by craven political leaders. I kept wishing for one of them to take a stand and say "no" to hate, but it was a year when political courage was in short supply.    

And yet, through a year that can only be described as bizarre (believe me, I never expected to be inducted into the Mass. Broadcasters Hall of Fame... and I never expected to be fired from my job either), there was one constant: you. When I was frustrated or discouraged, when I doubted myself, when I was feeling like what I had to say didn't matter, when some of the haters directed their words at me, you defended me. You encouraged me. You let me know you cared.

I hope I was able to do the same for many of you, and I will continue to reach out in the new year. Meanwhile, as 2023 comes to a close, I'm gratified to know that there are still people who take friendship seriously, who believe in kindness, and who care about ethics. So, to paraphrase the words of an Elton John song, I thank the Lord there are people out there like you. May 2024 bring you good health and good fortune. And may we all live to see a more peaceful world. Happy new year! 

11 comments:

  1. Happy new year Donna ,we love you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won’t pretend to know you. I would like to think you are speaking to me personally, as I have while reading many of your most interesting and thoughtful blogs and posts on different platforms. Perhaps this is why you are so popular and why we feel the need to reach out and show you we care. You write sensibly and without hate, calling out injustice and lack of humanity with courage, while promoting dignity among those who deserve it. Best wishes for this year and beyond. I look forward to reading you on the flip side, always grateful for your introduction of Rush to us Americans, but justifiably, for your commendable insight into what is going on in this world! Sending love and prayers to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, your humility just reminded me of Geddy, who always takes the opportunity to thank his fans for all of the support over the years! 😁 I echo Monica’s comments above, especially about your way with words as an insightful and thoughtful commentator, recognizing the humanity in all of us. Wishing you a happy, healthy, and less bizarre 2024!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Blog Donna and sending you best wishes to you and your Family
    fingers Crossed both Gwen and I finally travel to Boston and enjoy quite a bit of Coffee ☕☕ and ice cream ❤️❤️ kind regards Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Donna, well put as usual. I have known of you for years thanks to Rush fandom, but only recently started to interact with you. I appreciate your level headed insight, humility, caring and compassion for others. I hope you have a great 2024 with many blessings and great opportunities. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never doubt that you are needed and appreciated by all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Donna for your blogs. You always put things into their proper perspective.
    We all love you with all our hearts.
    Thank you for playing “Working Man” all those years ago. You ROCK sweet Donna and don’t you forget it! Remember that when one door closes, God opens a window. Just crawl on through and continue to stand up for injustice and write your truth.
    Always praying here in eastern Kentucky for you. Hang in there. Onward and upward kiddo. And to those who fired you, I say this… “don’t look now, but karma is watching.
    So, Happy New Year Donna to you and yours, and may God’s blessing overflow onto you this next year.
    Peace & blessings,
    Karen B

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all appreciate what you have done for the world Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also enjoy reading your posts and blogs especially of your job being a teacher as I am and it's not easy dealing with beurocratic red tape. Thank you for being who you are and sharing this with the world.

    ReplyDelete