I've been blogging a few times a month since early 2015, and I find that I get the most page views whenever I write about Rush. That's not surprising. Given my long-time friendship with the band, I understand that fans would be interested to read whatever I write about that topic (interestingly, the posts I've written about Neil are among my most-read). For some reason, I get the fewest when I write about politics or religion. So I'm prepared for a lot of folks to skip this one, since it contains elements of both.
But I hope they won't skip it, because I'm trying to understand something, and I'd like to get a few opinions. What I'm trying to make sense of is something a friend of mine said to me about the president. She said President Trump was the best friend Christians ever had. She relies mainly on conservative Christian media, and much of that seems to be pro-Trump too; the message that the president is a friend and protector of Christians is constantly reinforced. Some sources speak of him in almost messianic terms.
I've really tried to make sense of those attitudes, but I'm getting nowhere. I used to be a chaplain. I used to teach Sunday School. Okay fine, I'm Jewish and not Christian, but we both use the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament). I've also taught World Religions for years, and I'd like to think I know a few things about scripture.
So, consider this: The Bible clearly states that we are supposed to love our neighbor. It doesn't equivocate or make exceptions-- it doesn't say to only love our neighbor if they were born here, for example. The Bible also states repeatedly that we should "welcome the stranger." It does not qualify that commandment: it doesn't make exceptions for a stranger who is an immigrant or undocumented or non-white. It just says to love and welcome the stranger, and to treat the stranger with respect. The Bible also tells us not to worship money, and to make sure we take care of the poor.
Does this president exemplify any of these values? Does he do what the Bible says? Rather than follow the scriptures, he ignores its basic tenets. He has monetized his presidency, making millions for himself and his cronies, while doing little to help the poor. He has made a mockery of the justice system, granting pardons to convicted criminals if they were willing to donate money to him. He champions policies that treat immigrants with cruelty; he even defends having ICE agents shoot at them, whether they did something wrong or not. He has turned nearly every part of the White House into a gilded monument to himself. He is crude, vulgar, mendacious, and lacking in compassion. And yet, my friend sincerely believed he is a role model and a champion for Christians.
So what am I missing? From my perspective, there is nothing Christian (nor ethical) about this president, yet a vast network of conservative media sources lifts him up as some sort of role model, and people like my friend insist he is a hero for Christians. So, this is where you come in, those of you who have read this far (and I thank you). I'd appreciate some sensible explanations, because I feel like I'm living in a different universe from my friend, and it would be helpful if I could at least see the person she is seeing-- because what I see looks entirely different.
Hi Donna. You and I actually had some really great personal conversations about religion back when I worked at Disney 30 years ago. We got started after some discussion on the TNMS email group. At the time, I was a conservative Christian but I am no longer.
ReplyDeleteI have conservative Christian friends who also think Trump is amazing. It revolves around his drive to eliminate legal abortion. They also love the idea of prayer in schools and other ways that Christianity is being woven into the government.
Once you decide that you love those things, they'll put up with anything else he says or does. If it is something bad he did a long time ago, they'll ignore it. Being born again gives you a clean slate in their view. Cheating on his wife is bad but it has been forgiven. Or they'll point to God's blessing of David despite his flaws. They don't love him because of his immoral behavior, but they'll overlook all of it for the benefits they think they are receiving. But I still find it all so confusing.
Your friend is woefully mistaken. Fortunately, there ARE good spiritual and religious people who know better. They're just not as loud and abrasive and news-breaking. I somewhat follow one such guy, a former pastor (but still Christ-following Christian) named Pat Kanhnke (https://www.youtube.com/@culturefaithandpolitics) whose whole channel is about this very topic. He also wrote a book called A Christian Case Against Donald Trump.
ReplyDeleteBut the bottom-line is the fact that Trump displays NONE (not a lick) of moral character; he actively undermines and corrupts the systems around him. He's a figure of avarice and pettiness. And the so-called Christians who align themselves with him are not Christians.
If someone claims to follow the god of clouds, open air, and dryness, but then they spend 100% of their time underground in humid and stale air, don't believe them. You can't claim to believe in god of love of you're constantly supporting hatred and division.
I recently wrote my own blog post on a related matter.
https://jefflasala.online/2026/07/15/christian-nationalists-are-the-apostates-from-c-s-lewiss-the-great-divorce/
I've heard people compare Trump to King David--flawed when it comes to sexual morality--but basically serving God in other respects. One young man, supposed to be giving a talk about the power of Holy Spirit to guide people's decisions, used Trump as his example, since Trump " always follows his gut" in his actions, as if that weren't actually (from a religious point of view) just following the instincts of the Natural Man rather than the Holy Spirit.
ReplyDeleteRecently I heard one woman claim that Trump personally reinstated the prefix of Christian to the name of the LDS Church on the Pentagon's official list of religious denominations, after "they had removed it and Trump saw it and said that wasn't right because the LDS are some of the best Christians." Of course, Trump (and his appointees) aren't blamed for creating the issue in the first place--that was some nefarious "they"--but he is praised for being the one to fix it.
It's pure motivated reasoning. And it doesn't help that many folks are so siloed in terms of the media they consume as to be completely unaware of the reality of Trump's behavior past and present.
I was just discussing David today with a friend and how most people get God's view of David wrong. It's not that he was forgiven for all of his flaws, it's that he continually turned his heart back toward God and repented when he sinned. Which... Trump. DOES.NOT.Do.
ReplyDeleteI've struggled to understand why so many Christians have been trumpeting Trump for the last decade. The book that gave me the most insight was The Paradigm by Jonathan Cahn. This book does NOT say that Trump is a Christian or should be viewed as such. What it does say is that there are always patterns, and if you understand the pattern, you can understand what's currently going on. And Trump? He's just the pattern of Jehu. Called by God to go into Israel and clean up the Bael worship that Ahab and Jezebel had spread. Jehu wasn't considered a righteous man; he was just a soldier who knew how to get the job done. Which... yeah. fits Trump. Even if his mode of getting the job done is to lie, cheat, and manipulate his way to his will.
So why do Christians who claim to be in touch with God love Trump? Because they feel like Trump is supposed to be in the White House right now in order for our country to survive a little bit longer and perhaps have a little more mercy. Why do "Christians" who aren't really listening to God love Trump? Because they see him as the most direct way to accomplish their own personal view of how America should be. The rise of Christian Nationalism is incredibly alarming to anyone who actually love God more than anything else. We do not want to see America become a nation that only accepts Christians. We do not love Trump. We are very concerned. Because, no. Trump does not live in any way, shape, or manner that proves he is a Christian. He isn't godly in the least.
Somewhere in this mess is the fact that Trump has promoted himself as "friend to Israel". Of course they don't care about Israel because of any love for Jews. No. It is because Israel is important to their "end times".
ReplyDelete