Tuesday, September 15, 2026

When You're With Rush, You're With Family: Some Thoughts About R50 in Boston

There are moments in the life of a Rush fan that stand out. For example, I remember R40 like it was yesterday. It was June 23, 2015, and Annie Zaleski, a journalist friend of mine from Cleveland, joined me at TD Garden in Boston, where we saw Rush perform for what many of us feared would be the final time;  I blogged about it here, in fact: https://dlhalperblog.blogspot.com/2015/06/just-another-mad-mad-day-on-road-some.html 

I also remember the very first time I saw Rush. It was June 28, 1974 at the Allen Theater in Cleveland. I didn't have a blog back then; nobody even knew what the internet was, nor could any of us predict what the future held for these three young men from Toronto. I remember the show, and I remember that they were so young, and they looked really nervous (and John Rutsey was still the drummer); but their manager promised me that night that they'd never let me down. And when they began to play "Working Man," some fans in the audience knew the song and sang along with it, which seemed to give them more confidence.

I remember so many other moments from so many other shows-- I'm still amazed that Rush (and their management) have kept in touch with me for more than fifty years. And that's what I remember the most, far beyond which city I saw them play, or which songs were in the set-list: I remember the friendship. It's a rare commodity in the world today. And I saw that friendship everywhere when I went to TD Garden on Monday night, to attend R50, the show so many of us never thought we'd live to see.  

I saw that friendship in the pop-up Xanadu Lounge, where fans were eating snacks and enjoying looking at Rush photos, artwork and memorabilia. A lot of folks recognized me and came up to ask for a selfie with me; and they thanked me for what I had done for Rush. They didn't need to do that; knowing that I played a role in making Rush better-known is gratifying enough for me. There were lots of hugs, lots of conversation about Rush shows we had seen and songs that meant a lot to us. In most cases, I had never met these folks before, and yet we all shared a feeling of being among people we cared about.       

And I saw that friendship when I went backstage to see Alex and Geddy before the show. They were in work mode and I didn't want to take up too much of their time, so we hugged, and chatted briefly. I told them how proud I was of them, and I conveyed the good wishes of the fans. I also wished Geddy and his family a happy new year. We hugged again, and then they had a show to do, and I took my seat in the mixing booth, next to two old friends-- Cliff Burnstein (I've known him since his days at Mercury Records) and the legendary Howard "Herns" Ungerleider. 

Howard looked wonderful-- so much healthier (he told me he has lost a lot of weight, but he just looked so happy to be doing what he was doing). Cliff and I were reminiscing about Cleveland, and about how record promotion used to be done, and we were both remarking on how wonderful the show was-- it was a privilege to watch this new iteration of Rush, and to enjoy getting together after not seeing each other for a while. Okay fine, they were working, but there was still time to marvel at where we've all been, how many years we've known each other, and what a privilege it is to be at R50.   

I'll let others write about which songs Rush played, but suffice it to say the set on Monday night featured some of their best-known tracks, as well as the entire Moving Pictures album ("Witch Hunt" could have been written yesterday); and the special effects were top-notch. They always are. I was delighted to see a tribute to Neil, and equally pleased to see a tribute to Rutsey; both tributes were emotional for so many of us. Anika was a pleasure to watch. In fact, the entire band seemed like they were really having fun up there. And when they played their encore and we all heard the familiar opening chords of "Working Man," everyone in the audience was on their feet, singing along (or air-drumming or air-guitaring). In fact, people were on their feet doing that all night. It wasn't a rowdy crowd: it was an enthusiastic and happy crowd (and yes, it included female fans, as well as some kids, brought by parents who wanted to share Rush with a new generation). What I saw, as I said, was a community of friends.

And in a world where there are so many reasons to be stressed or angry, it was a wonderful escape to spend some time immersed in Rush's music. Now more than ever, we can all use some joy, and that is what Rush delivered. As recently as a year ago, few of us could have predicted that we would see Rush reunite and perform again. And now, here we are, receiving the gift of an evening with our favorite band. I left the venue feeling grateful. And I don't think I'm the only one. After all, when you're with Rush, you're with family. And it really felt like a family reunion in many ways-- one that we were all happy to attend.  

5 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful experience... so happy we have been blessed with them for as long as we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful blog Donna. I couldn’t agree more about the RUSH family. I have RUSH friends who I speak with more often than my family and one of the best things is that we have our great memories. Memories of shows, of standing together singing and playing air-drums. The friendships remain to this day and they are all brought to us through RUSH and it’s a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reflections, Donna. I’m looking forward to seeing the Boys and now Annika in Seattle and Amsterdam. I truly feel so lucky! I’m bringing my sons to the show in Seattle, along with my wife who is actually a huge Rush fan too. So much of my personal history is intertwined with the band and our community. Their example of grit and resilience and top-notch artistry demonstrated foremost through their friendship, intelligence, and good humor has been the inspiration of my life. So, thank you for your role in bringing them to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at the same show at the TD Garden and i felt the same way. i was with my roommate from college who i have known for 40 yrs. The band sounded great and we’re having so much fun. Thx Donna for everything you have done. You are a positive force

    ReplyDelete