Wednesday, January 31, 2024

My Birthday Wish

I normally blog a couple of times a month, and since this one is coming out at the beginning of February, the next one will be right after my birthday, on February 14th (Valentine's Day). Given that I'm a cancer survivor, it seems amazing to me that I'm about to be 77. Many of my relatives did not live to be 77. So, as I have said many times, I am grateful every day.

All my life, I've always been honest about my age: for generations, women were told to never admit to how old they actually were, but that custom mystified me. It seemed to play into the belief that only a young woman had value, and if a woman wasn't what society considered young, then she was expected to lie. But why be ashamed of how old we are? Why lie about it? So, yes, God willing, I'm about to be 77. People tell me I don't look it, and I guess that's a good thing-- although I don't know what a 77 year old is supposed to look like. I just know that's how old I'll be, and yes I understand that in a youth oriented culture, 77 is considered old.

And that is about to become a problem for me. As many of you know, several months ago, I received the disappointing news that 29 of my colleagues, including me, were being laid off: and the median age of those who got that email skewed over 50. Many of us are widely known, have won awards, are names in our field, and our students like us. But on paper, I guess we're considered old, and thus more expensive than younger faculty. And as businesses all over the country seek ways to save money, older personnel are being encouraged to take buyouts or they're being downsized.

So, while I am grateful to be alive, I'm facing the fact that it may be difficult for me to find another job. No, I don't want to retire: I enjoy working, and I can't imagine not doing it. (And I've been told I'm still good at it, so I'd like to continue.) Not only does having a job keep my mind active, but the income lets me pay my share of the bills, and have enough money to donate to the charities I care about. 

But will anyone see what I have to contribute? Will they see all of my accomplishments thus far and think that I still have plenty more to offer? Or will they just see someone who is 77, and figure it's easier, and cheaper, to hire someone younger? No, I'm not trying to overstay my welcome, and I'm not trying to prevent a new generation from having their chance. Ideally, it shouldn't be "us versus them": there ought to be room for both the younger and the older generations, since each has important perspectives, and each has different experiences to share.

And if I have a birthday wish, beyond another year of health, I wish for the opportunity to keep making a difference, the opportunity to be judged not by my chronological age (or the stereotypes about it) but by what I've done already and what I still can do. I truly believe there's more out there for me to accomplish. To be honest, the odds don't seem to be in my favor right now, but I know that things can change. I hope they will. And I hope that soon, my birthday wish will come true.      

9 comments:

  1. Hey, Donna. Great post here. I know exactly how you feel. I am going to be 56 next month, and am coming up on nine-month anniversary of being laid off. One would think that about 25 years of business and technology journalism experience would be worth...Something. To Someone. But, the longer things go on, the more I feel like my career is over. I don't feel that I am "done", but I know that the age factor is not in my favor, too. Of course, no prospective employer would say, "We don't want you because of how old you are." But, I've been around enough to know that age is an unspoken factor when it comes to getting hired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome you are an amazing woman and glad to have you as a friend and a member of the Rush family and community.
    Yours truly
    Ottawa Rush guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna great post and wish. In corporate America today one doesn’t retire but “is retired” so I understand that situation well. I’m sure there is so much you can do to make a difference. If universities aren’t the answer hopefully there is another way. I wish you the best on your birthday and everyday. Thank you so much for giving us (Rush fans) the joy of getting to know you. Peace, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just turned 63 and I’m looking forward to retiring. But it’s all about, as Geddy recently said, spending your time here the way you want and that is meaningful to you. I send you good mojo from Oklahoma so you can do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jose Carlos Rodriguez DDSFebruary 3, 2024 at 11:30 AM

    As we age gracefully, and retire, the passion for work forever burns bright within us. I love my job in public healthcare at the federal level. When I got my letter that my 30 years of service was going to end. I was surprised how fast it arrived. Unfortunately health issues have curtailed my ability to continue my passion, I have found new ways to keep busy, keep my mind active and now produce things that people are finding fascinating. I just need more time on the day to continue my new found passion, while my original passion is still lit as a votive candle in my heart. Keep writing about what passions you until that day that pencil or keyboard no longer works. ✌πŸΌπŸ––πŸΌπŸ€ŸπŸΌ❣️♾️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you’re amazing Donna! You’ve been so kind to myself and my students! I hope your birthday wish comes true and that you get to continue to do what you love for many more years! I’ve been teaching for 21 years and I am experiencing this with younger generations of teachers coming in. They don’t seem to seek us older teachers out for advice or ideas. They think the things we do are not worthy of their time. It’s quit sad. I was looking forward to paying it forward and sharing my wisdom like older teachers have done for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if you have considered volunteering to the causes that you normally donate to? This can fulfill your passion for these organizations....donated time as a physical being in many ways is just as meaningful if not more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna been a long decades since we last spoke, I want to wish you a happy 77th and many more years. You probably do not remember me but since we last spoke I married a wonderful woman, we had 14 great years, but she passed due to stage 4 lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete