Thursday, February 15, 2024

"The Treasure of a Life is a Measure of Love and Respect"

As many of you know, Valentine's Day was my birthday-- #77. And imagine my surprise to find that about 900 folks reached out to wish me a happy birthday. A few went old-school and sent birthday cards (which I was delighted to receive), and a couple of my more artistic students created hand-made (or hand-painted) cards to give me. My stepdaughter sent balloons and an adorable stuffed animal (a unicorn) for my collection, and my husband made duck with orange sauce-- to go along with the birthday cake we had for dessert. 

But most of the well-wishers reached out to me on Twitter (I refuse to call it "X"), and Facebook, and Instagram, and Threads. Some just wished me a happy birthday, but others sent along personalized messages. I have to admit I didn't expect so many folks to be thinking of me, and knowing they did definitely put a smile on my face.

Okay fine, in some cases, the messages were automatic: if you follow me on social media, when it's time for my birthday (or anyone that you follow), you get a notification. But in a large number of the messages, the person had kind words to say about something positive that I had contributed to their life: there were former students I had mentored, friends that I had encouraged, people who read my articles or heard me on a podcast and thought my perspectives were inspiring, teachers whose classrooms received books or school supplies from me, and (of course) a large number of Rush fans who expressed their gratitude for my role in introducing Rush to the world.  

Several of the people who reached out are folks I met when I was in college radio or former colleagues I worked with in the music industry decades ago; the fact that they have kept in touch for so long means a lot. Others are people I've only known for a relatively short time: for example, a few young female Rush fans wanted me to know they see me as a role model and a trailblazer. Interestingly, some folks who got in touch are people who didn't seem to like me very much years ago, but perhaps time has caused their opinion of me to improve.

I tried to get back to as many of the well-wishers as I could. But I also wanted to use this blog post to send my appreciation to everyone who took the time to let me know I was in their thoughts. This has been a difficult few months for me, what with finding out I'm losing my job, and confronting the reality that it may be difficult to find a new one because we are a youth-oriented culture and I'm now 77-- still young and cute, but 77. And yet, to everyone who got in touch, I was just Donna, their friend, someone they cared about, someone who deserved to be remembered on her special day. 

To be honest, I find it hard to believe I'm worthy of that kind of adulation, but there it was-- more than 900 folks sending their love in my direction. So, if I have contributed to your life, if I have been a good friend or a good colleague or a role model or a motivational figure (or someone to play Wordle with), I'm glad. As Neil Peart said in The Garden (one of my favorite Rush songs), "The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect." I've tried to be someone who treated others with love and respect. Thank you for giving me that treasure: the gift of knowing that on some level, I succeeded.

9 comments:

  1. Young and cute, indeed! Love ya Donna, happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely Blog Donna and once again
    Happy birthday from Liverpool UK best wishes Paul 💖

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely deserve all the love and more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you Donna! ❤️🌹❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well deserved, Donna. Believe it or not, you are influencing a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Donna! You are an amazing person who has accomplished so much! My students and I are grateful for your support! I am inspired by you, I am in awe of you, and I am humbled to know you! I feel blessed to have met you, and I want to learn more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im still happy you liked my cds... there will always somewhere for you. Your experiences and the rush thing. I dig the radio...whenever its good. Oh yeah 5 years no cigarettes. 2 years no booze....im starting to be proud again. For the right reasons. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday Donna! I hope your husband quit smoking. My partner
    Alan is 74 and he doesn’t want to quit. He has tried. Makes me crazy. He even gets insulted when people ask him to move away, and they think if they complain to me, I can tell him to quit and he will!

    ReplyDelete