Saturday, September 12, 2020

Trying to Live My Life Without You

If you're anything like me, you can still remember where you were when you heard the news that Neil Peart had died. And perhaps, like me, you were surprised that he had lost his battle with cancer-- since you didn't know he had cancer in the first place. (I knew he had been ill, but Neil was a very private person, and I did not want to pry. I figured that whatever he wanted the public to know, that's what he would share. And I was fine about that.)   

But it goes without saying that his death was a shock for every Rush fan. Many of us cried when we heard the news, including rock critics who knew him, and people who never met him but felt like they knew him--thanks to the lyrics he wrote.  And today especially, on what would have been his 68th birthday, many of us are still in shock.  I did not speak to Neil much after he retired, but I often spoke to his best friend Craig, and I kept up with how he was doing. I was glad he was enjoying his retirement, and I was especially happy to hear news about his latest adventures, like taking his daughter on nature walks. And I had no idea that when I saw him after the band's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it was the last time I would see him.    

I think for some fans, losing Neil was the final proof that Rush would not be reuniting, ever. Okay fine, most fans understood that fact intellectually.  The band had retired, and Neil had decided he needed to stop performing (that he had been suffering with tendonitis had been widely reported, plus he wanted to be there as his little daughter was growing up). Geddy and Alex had famously said in the 2010 documentary "Beyond the Lighted Stage" that Neil was irreplaceable. And if he ever left the band, they would not try to find another drummer. "if there's no Neil, there's no Rush," Geddy said. 

But fans being fans, there was still the hope, even after he retired, that somehow he might join Alex and Geddy one final time-- perhaps for charity. Or maybe he could go into the studio and record something with his former band-mates. After all, they were still friends, and they still kept in touch, so why not get together and make some music? Online rumors popped up periodically (I had to dispel quite a few of them); but no matter how many times it was pointed out that Neil was content, happy to be a "retired drummer," the fans kept hoping. Until the day when it became impossible to hope any longer.       

Since he died, I've tried to find ways to honor the man I thought of as a friend, the man whose music changed so many lives.  I make donations in his memory to my favorite charity, Donors Choose, which supports teachers and students in need of school supplies: I seek out classrooms (and individual students) who need musical instruments, for example. I've been keeping in touch with everyone at Overtime Angels, the group planning a night to honor him (it was supposed to be in October, but the COVID-19 pandemic put so many events on hold).  And I've been on a number of radio shows and webcasts, sharing my recollections of watching Neil play or spending some time talking with him about literature (how many rock musicians can quote lines from Shakespeare's "King Lear"?). I'm doing my part to keep his memory alive. But I'd be lying if I said I don't still miss him.

I only have one photo of me and Neil, the one from the summer of 1974. Neil was famous for avoiding meet-and-greet events, and whenever photos of the band were taken, it was always Alex and Geddy who stuck around for those occasions.  But others, including his friend Craig, have taken wonderful photos of Neil playing the drums, and sometimes I look at those photos. Seeing how happy he was still makes me smile. 

 

Back in 1989, someone at his record company asked him to explain how he and the band went about making a new record. He said that the songs are reflections on life, and not just reflections-- but also responses.  He said, as we travel on our metaphorical journey, each of us sees that life with different mirrors; and we see it filtered through our own lenses. But the lyrics Neil wrote were often unique in their ability to make the listeners feel as if he was talking about their life, their experience. His songs truly were the soundtrack for so many of our lives. In that regard, it's like he is still here. He lives on through the music he left for us, and the joy with which he played that music. It was an honor to share this planet with him. Happy birthday, Neil.        

   

27 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful memories of Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such wonderful memories of Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Donna for your kindly words and memories... Neil is somewhere between our minds and hearts... closer than ever to the Heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Donna for your kindly words and memories... Neil is somewhere between our minds and hearts... closer than ever to the Heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great piece you wrote
    I am as tll heartbroken
    Yours gary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been listening to Rush since high-school,Permanent Waves first exposed me to the power trio, but the lyrics wow, still brought to tears by The Camera Eye, or Xanadu, just magical stuff. Thank you Alex, Geddy and Neil, for such an amazing musical journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He created my value system and made me a better human being...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Niel will live on throughout his music, lyrics, sensitivity, poetry that magically touched all of us! Thank you Donna for sharing your love and thoughts about the professor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing. Yes I remember that moment when I read the words “RIP NP” on his Facebook page and I’m frantic disbelief through glazing eyes I found the news that had just been released. We always had the discussion about what would you do if you sat in a cafe and there was Neil sat on a nearby table... a once in a lifetime opportunity just to say thank you for the music? Or would you respect the man and just walk away? Sadly that decision can never be discussed nor made any more. RIP NP. Gone but never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would just shoot him a peace sign and walk away. Geddy or Alex I might walk up to and say thanks for your music, but Neil was always private.

      Delete
  10. Thank you. You wrote something most of us would. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first time I saw Neil play his drum solos live was when R30 came out, I fell to my knees and cried my eyes out. I thank God that my husband and I were able to take our youngest daughter Heather and my now son in law Randy to see them August of 2007 in Noblesville Indiana. We were blessed to have seen him play live. He will always be in our hearts forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was awake at 2:00 this morning; unable to sleep, as has been the case for over a year now. I thought, "Today is Neil's birthday." How many people were taking note of that very fact when I was? I have no doubt that I wasn't alone. Last week, I spent a day learning how to ride motorcycle on dirt, gravel and occasionally some mud. My riding instructor actually dumped his bike during the course of our riding together. He lamented not getting a "Captain Morgan pose" of him standing over his bike, one foot up on the frame. I thought of a similar photograph of Neil doing that very thing. When I ride, I think of the hundreds of thousands of miles he covered in the saddle of a motorcycle. When I get out on snowshoes in the winter, I think of his avidity for winter sports. He touched my life in ways other than the music that he created with Lerxst and Dirk. There are very few people that I've never met whose passing nine months later still makes me stop with a lingering sense of sadness. I also think about Geddy and Alex losing a soul brother, a creative and business partner - and simply a human being with whom they lived and laughed with so very much. It's so bittersweet to watch the video of them dining at the hunting lodge. They were such regular guys, so goofy, so silly, so very drunk, but all so very human and dear. I'm with you Donna; So happy to have been able to share time and space on this planet with them. And though I would never pretend I was Neil's friend, he was never really a stranger to me either. Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your appreciation, your affection and your memories of dear Pratt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said, Donna. I’m in Hamilton, ON where Neil started his amazing life. Thanks for keeping the memory of him alive and letting us know that we aren’t the only ones who miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully said, Donna. Listening to Different Strings as I type this.
    Exemplifies Neil's great lyric style.
    There'll never be another Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for keeping his memory, spirit, and music alive.

    What a gifted man who enriched so many beyond measure.

    Yes, the music is all that we have left..
    "and if the music stops
    there's only the sound of the rain"

    ReplyDelete
  16. So well said. Thank you for writing this...and for putting Working Man on your turntable back in Cleveland.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brought me to tears. Again. What a life he had. From the lowest low to the highest high. We are lucky he left us with such beautiful works of art and letters. I will always love him. -Daria

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brought me to tears. Again. What a life he had. From the lowest low to the highest high. We are lucky he left us with such beautiful works of art and letters. I will always love him. -Daria

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well said and honestly written - Neil Peart will always be my muse as a writer. He inspired me in so many ways, not the least in giving me a title for my PhD dissertation, Between the Wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great tribute. He is still my favorite wordsmith. Seeing them live in '78 and '79, will forever be the point of maturity in my musical venture. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful thoughts,Donna! I can't imagine how hard it must be still for his family, Ged and Alex as well as his many friends like yourself. I know that he meant so much to me, even though I had never met him, and I am devastated. So it must be so tough for those that did. Peace and Rush on!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for writing this, Donna. I watched tge tribute on Sat night and found that I am still mourning a person I never actually met, but he sure did leave some memories that I hope will never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  23. In the true spirit of Neil - I'll share some raw things here - but I also do it having had a few great interactions - I think on LinkedIN - with Donna shortly after Neils passing.

    Honestly, it really hurts - STILL - AS WELL IT SHOULD!

    Now I never knew Neil personally - but was a huge fan and he had a profound affect on my world views and growing up & maturing through the decades since the 1980's.

    It hurts to listen to RUSH at this stage for me personally - so I've minimized it.

    I've been through loss cycles before with very close family and friends... and it usually takes a year to digest the harsh new realities of losing someone close.

    Neil's passing hurts because we loved the music. It inspired us. It shaped us. It shaped our world view and even certain facests of our education of life, science, the greater goods, and The Big Omega!

    So it does my heart a lot of good to know others were so impacted by Neil - in such profound ways - as I was - far beyond his ability to be the best rock drummer in the world. When they retire you from actually claiming the award for greatest drummer - then yeah - it's you.

    I miss the hope, the fun, the sponteniety that RUSH brought through the years. One day I'll get back to it.

    It seemed so fitting that Neil would pass on the same calander day as Steve "Steamin'" Clark from DEF LEPPARD - another true virtuoso.

    It was fitting I got so sick about the time I got the news for about two weeks and it allowed me to mourn on my own terms.

    It's somewhat fitting that 2020 has been such a horrible year on so many levels. It's a reminder that we lost someone very special to the world and the universe we see.

    Neil is still inspiring me at this very hour to keep writing, keep working on music, working on musical projects, working with other new bands / musicians even at a point in time in my life when most would not choose to challenge themselves in that way.

    It's important to not forget how much work Neil had to put in to be so good - and it's important to be willing to work at least that hard so we can inspire the ones we love around us.

    I have no real answers - it can't be understood.
    He literally was The Professor to so many of us.
    Our captain of industry, creativity, music, & the world we weave!
    You are so sorely missed!

    Godspeed & Happy Birthday Neil!

    - Anonymous 2020

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for putting into words what I’ve been feeling these past many months. Neil’s loss still has me flummoxed: I can’t wrap my head around it. I don’t know why - maybe the way his lyrics and music have formed an integral part of my self identity since high school. I knew Rush was finished, but I anticipated more musings and reflections from the Professor, and now I know there will be none forthcoming. ❤️

    ReplyDelete