Friday, March 31, 2023

The Importance of Telling the Stories

I never met Eunice Randall. I wish I had, because she was the first female radio announcer in Massachusetts, and one of first in the United States. She may have been on the air as far back as late 1919, but we can definitely place her on the radio throughout the early 1920s, doing everything from reading bedtime stories to the little kids, to reporting the news headlines, to playing the latest hit songs. She also repaired the equipment when it broke (which it often did), and if a guest didn't show up (all radio was live back then), she and one of her colleagues at the station would sing duets. 

Thanks to her niece, I have a few photos, some of her writings, even a rare recording of her, re-enacting the first show she ever did; she was barely 21 the first time she went on the air, and I wonder if she was nervous. I also wonder what it was like to be the first-- at a time when there were no other women doing what she did, a time with no female role models, when many men did not believe women belonged anywhere except in the home. (In fact, when Eunice first got on the air, women still didn't have the right to vote.)  


This photo is one of my favorites. It was taken at station 1XE in Medford Hillside, Massachusetts, in 1921. It was staged for the newspapers, but it wasn't too far from reality: early radio studios were far from glamorous, and you had no idea who was listening, since not everyone had a radio yet; plus, given the early technology, signals faded in and out. But anyone who did receive 1XE must have been amazed when they heard her voice. (By all accounts, including fan letters, she became very popular.) 

Eventually, Eunice left radio. She worked for one of the utility companies, making technical drawings. She kept up with ham radio, long a favorite hobby of hers. She married a fellow ham, a guy she had known for many years. After retiring, they moved up to Maine. She died in 1982. But when I was on the air, I never knew she existed; and back then, few if any media history books mentioned the pioneering women broadcasters from radio's early years. So, I never got a chance to thank her. I never got a chance to ask her what it was like being there at the beginning.

But I am glad I found out about her in the mid-1990s. Having been the first woman on the radio at my college station in 1968, I had searched for years to find out the names of the first women at other stations. Once I finally found Eunice, I searched for living relatives, and found her niece. And that's when I promised I would make sure Eunice was never forgotten again. I've kept that promise. And I championed her (posthumous) induction into the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame. Her niece was there to see it.

On June 8, 2023, it will be my turn to be inducted into the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame. I am being given the Pioneer Broadcaster Award, and I'm the first woman to win it. It's partly for my long radio career; it's partly for what I did in discovering and championing the rock band Rush; but it's also partly for my many years as a media historian, researching and telling the stories of the once-famous but now often forgotten reporters, sportswriters, and broadcasters, the men and women who have contributed to our lives. 

I don't know if anyone considers me a role model. I don't know if I'll be remembered in the future. But I do know that it's humbling and gratifying to see my accomplishments validated by my peers. Many people along the way said I'd never succeed. And yet, here I am, about to join some of the folks I admire most in the Hall of Fame. And I promise to keep researching, and keep telling the stories, because there are so many more that deserve to be told. 

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being inducted into the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame, Donna! Quite an honor, and one you totally qualify for and deserve. I do think you very likely are a role model for up and coming women and will therefore long be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on this great honor. Not only will I remember you but you have impacted the lives of many students in my school (and other schools as well) through your generosity in donating to many Donors Choose projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on this fantastic honor, Donna! As a fellow media history professor, I've considered you a scholar, a role model, and a friend. Thank you for your tireless research and articles on women in early broadcasting which led to "Invisible Stars," and for continuing to add details and stories to the rich history of radio. Every semester my students read your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Donna!! You deserve this. I am sure you have influenced so many people that you do not know that you have. Continue doing what you do. People see you, have listened to you on radio and sat under your teachings. You have made a difference. Blessings, Grant

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Donna a well Deserved award you have been a excellent Role Model also many thanks and Best wishes
    King regards Paul.🇬🇧

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes on receiving this honor and agree with all the sentiments above. You've put together more than enough work on radio, music, local history, baseball, and they're overlaps to be a clear model for others. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Donna. You're also notable for your excellent research into history. I met Eunice Randall W1MPP many times, she always encouraged me. I was a 16 year old Amateur Extra licensee at the time the youngest in the country. I later got my commercial radio licenses just like Eunice both of us had to take the Morse code exam, she took it before the Department of Commerce. I took it at the Boston Custom House before the FCC. Right across the street from the Custom House was a building with the antennas from WBF owned by Tropical Radio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. Donna. Jim Hilliker here in Monterey California. It must have been over 20 years ago when I first read about Eunice Randall from your research. I had to read this blog again. So amazing when you can locate a relative of one of the radio pioneers. I have only done that once. I consider you a role model and mentor. I also try to write about the once famous but now forgotten radio people of the 1920s. Thank you for all you've done for preserving and uncovering early broadcasting history. Congratulations on you induction into the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame. We love you, dear friend.




    ReplyDelete