As many of you know, I spent four decades in broadcasting. I was a music director, a deejay, and an assistant program director (in that era when few women were promoted to program director); I later became a radio consultant, working with stations in markets of all sizes, all over North America. I had the privilege of meeting a lot of celebrities over the years: Dolly Parton, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, Garth Brooks, Bob Seger, Fleetwood Mac, just to name a few. Oh, and there was also that rock band from Canada... My point is, for a working class kid who was often told she'd never be anything in life, I sure attended a lot of concerts and met a lot of famous people. I've got lots of memorabilia from my career-- lanyards, backstage passes, t-shirts... and of course, I've got some amazing memories.
But while I am often associated with music, I was raised to keep up with current events, and in our home, we always would read the newspaper. Today, most newspapers and news magazines are online, which is very convenient, but being old-school, I also enjoy reading the hard copy of the Boston Globe when I'm eating breakfast. I can look back at stories I might have missed; I believe it makes me better informed. I also watch the news on TV when time permits-- sometimes online via YouTube, or via my local TV channels, and sometimes on national networks or on cable. I guess you could say I'm a news junkie. And although I tend to be center-left, I try my best to keep up with reputable sources on all sides of the issues. (I was also raised to value good conversation, and if you only know one side of an issue, how can you be a good conversationalist?)
And that, in a roundabout way, leads me to what happened on Monday. Among the channels I enjoy watching is the former MSNBC, these days known as MS.NOW. I like their news reporters, and I like their commentators (and yes, it's important to differentiate between news and commentary). And while I may not agree with every single thing on the channel, I generally find what they broadcast both informative and worthwhile. My favorite news commentator is Rachel Maddow. I find her knowledgeable and erudite, and as a media historian, I appreciate the historical research she does. Our paths never crossed during my media career (most of my work was in radio and print, rather than TV). But these days, I am perfectly content with knowing there are certain people on TV and online whose work I can enjoy.
I wanted to support the channel, so I became a member. And one of the benefits was the opportunity to ask the hosts questions and have them respond. But when I submitted a question for Rachel, I never expected it would get chosen-- nor did I expect that I'd be invited by her producers to talk to Rachel live, during a segment on the MS.NOW website on Monday. Being a former deejay, I asked her a music question, rather than yet another question about politics. To be honest, I hoped she'd be pleased with my question. And it seems that she was, based on the enthusiastic reaction I got. She could not have been more cordial: we discussed her taste in music, as well as talking about an artist she wished she had met-- but never did-- she mentioned Bonnie Raitt. (In the longer version of the conversation, I had told her that I had tickets to see the Rolling Stones, but I couldn't go because I was on the air that day; everyone else from the station went, but I never saw them. I still have the ticket though-- $12 to see the Stones in 1978.) Anyway, we had a very enjoyable conversation, and I am told you can see a portion of it on YouTube. I still can't believe it happened.
I understand that some people reading this may not be fans of Rachel's. That's okay. But that's not the point. The point is that even a famous and successful TV host can find some joy talking about music. In my previous blog, I mentioned how joyful Alex and Geddy (and Anika too) look on stage as they are performing for the fans. And when I find myself getting depressed and frustrated by what's happening in the news, my respite continues to be going over to YouTube and listening to some of my favorite songs. It's a wonderful escape, and I recommend it. But since I've got you here, let me ask you what I asked Rachel. Is there an artist you wish you had seen in concert, but never did? I never did get to see the Stones. But hey, I was able to talk music with Rachel. And that was a very cool experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment